Sunday 13 April 2014

Boro exhibition, on raising humble to art.


Add caption
 Sorry about the colour reproduction my camera decided it didn't like blue.



If you live in the UK and you haven't seen this exhibition drop everything and go it is amazing. Its a study of unknowable family histories of grinding poverty and ingenuity. It asks more questions than it answers, you want to know about these peoples lives. Some of the pieces look as if the were cobbled together in spare moments but others appear to have had a lot of thought put into them and are beautifully stitched pieces.
It is unashamedly a selling exhibition, and doesn't pretend otherwise but by beautifully presenting these pieces as works of art it is raising the humble to new levels.
It seems a bit ridiculous to now produce my own new pieces, albeit made of old fabric, based on originals that were made out of rags to keep people warm but that is exactly what I intend to do and out of choice not necessity.

8 comments:

  1. Where is it on Debbie? How long for? It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, Its on at Somerset House in London and I think finishes on 26th April. It is an amazing exhibition but quite far for you to travel. I would say its worth it, one of the best exhibitions I have been to.

      Delete
  2. thank you for sharing these photos, such stunning work, like maps of time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Mo, I just wish I could have got the colour right and the awe that you feel when looking at them.

      Delete
  3. really beautiful work and i understand what you mean--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a very emotional exhibition but how can you not want to try and make something with the same sort of beauty.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the comment,I printed the photographs onto high gloss for my boro book as I wanted the contrast though curiously they seem to merge in. I have done that with my camera especially when it is sunny and difficult to see the screen but your's look fine and the lighting wasn't the best. As I mentioned it was the most moving textile exhibition I have ever visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a great many people felt the same as you, I certainly did. It was incredibly moving and will stay in my mind for many years I suspect.

      Delete