Thursday 2 June 2016

And finally

Shirt detail
 Finally pressed and ready to show, these were all bundled with various leaves that had been rehydrated in hot water and then dipped in iron water. The bath contained purchased liquid madder. I was expecting orange/reds but I guess the iron reacted with the madder to create these colours which I love. My dyeing is getting a bit more sophisticated as you can see from the border on the dress, but it is still very hit and miss and always a surprise to see what comes out. I want it to stay that way as well.
Front of shirt

Back of shirt

Shirt detail

Front of dress

Back of dress

Detail of dress

5 comments:

  1. oh these are lovely and subtle & love the border on the dress, did you make it from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo, no the clothes are from charity shops, your op shops I think.

      Delete
  2. i can see that you would be very happy with these...i like very much that
    the marks are amorphous...so that they can be many things to many eyes.
    The subtlety of the coloring is perfect to me. I still don't know what
    iron water is, but i'm wondering if a cast iron pot would do the same?
    The dress hem....ahhhh.
    THANK YOU!!!!....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An iron pot might work though possible not as well. The way I make iron water is to put some rusty metal in a glass jar and add water and vinegar and leave it for a while. I left the rust in which you probably shouldn't do for to long, it had started fermenting and getting a trifle nasty so I will start a new batch soon. You might find some more accurate recipes on other dyers sites. India might have it on hers, mine are all a bit hit and miss and not measured.

      Delete
  3. So many beautiful dyed clothing... very sophisticated..

    ReplyDelete